Saturday, January 19, 2008

Update with Photos

So, I've discovered that I'm going to have very little time to let everyone know what I'm up to. Between Spanish classes (every day from 8-3), traveling to Santa Lucia for Peace Corps technical training 2 times a week, trying to understand what my host family is saying to me, AND creating my own journal, blog posting is getting more and more difficult. BUT... with the little time I do have I can still upload photos that I've taken from my journey's traveling around Guatemala.

I'll try to make sure that I put a little explanation next to each photo I post.
After the next 3 months I should have lots more time...
So, without further ado: here are some good moments->



This is the view that I have when I walk out of my room and look up :)













These are the canaries that I wake up to in the morning; how uplifting...

















This is a pila (pee-luh). It is used to wash hands (on the left side), and clothes (on the right side).

Every household in Guatemala has one of these, but most are about half this size.









This is the view from my rooftop (looking left).

Note: Women can typically be seen carrying their cargo on their heads. This looks painful, but I'm told it's not.













View from my rooftop (looking right).
















That's all for now!

on the next post - a trip up the mountain (in my back yard)!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey mark:

I got your message tonight. Sorry, I have a bad habit of not answerings #s that I dont recognize. Your pictures look great - I am jealous. Much more exciting than Shreveport, LA. So get your butt in gear and learn that Espanol. I dont know what to tell you about your - uh - gastric motility issues - but I guess just watch what you eat.

It was great hearing from you!! Keep the pics coming!!

Josie said...

Coool pics! You'd be surprised how much a woman can carry on her head. ;) Take care!

Anonymous said...

OH YES.. COMMENT TIME!!!
First... I miss you. Second... Mama forwarded your e-mail to christy filling us in on how you are doing and you sound like you are doing SOOOO well. (I'm so glad!) Tell me more!!! I'm sure you are staying busy busy busy... I hope you are learning lots of spanish and are "fitting in" as well as a 6'2 white male with blonde hair can in that country ;-)

Love you! Write when you can.

Mark Hamilton said...

When you post a comment please leave a name so i know who you are... thanks

Anonymous said...

Hey man:

Whats going on down there? How is the spanish thing going? Are you learning anything, able to eat anything? Youll be pleased to know that we bought Rock Band - so now I can jam on the guitar and Lindsay is on the drums. But she can play hers on hard, and I can only still play on medium. Good times...

I just got back from being in Houston all week. Gotta love corporate America...

Hope youre doing well, man. Post me some more pics!!

Ryan

Anonymous said...

I found you.